Saturday, February 2, 2008

My Basic Stocked Pantry

Since having a well-stocked pantry can be a major component of meal-planning, I thought I would devote an entire post to it. Stocking up a pantry and freezer doesn't happen overnight. While you could take this list and dash to the store and buy one of everything on it, I tend to be the one to stock over time. I keep a mental checklist of what we have on hand and replenish what needs it, when it needs it. Keep in mind that everyone's pantry staples are going to be slightly different. We all have our own tastes and our own needs, so tailor your list for what your family enjoys eating.

Two excellent resources I have found for helping plan out stocking the pantry and freezer are some unexpected books. Rachael Ray's Express Lane Meals has excellent information on planning out meals and stocking the pantry. As does Robin Miller's Quick Fix Meals. While I seldom cook out of these books, and can't attest to the recipes, the other information is wonderful, and worth the addition to my cookbook library. Now for my list:

Canned tomatoes: diced, whole, crushed and stewed (fire roasted if I have extra $$)
Tomato Sauce: plain sauce, as well as bottled marinara
Tomato paste: I buy mine in the squeeze tube-well worth the added expense
Chipotle chilis in adobo sauce: Once opened, these freeze beautifully
Canned beans: Black beans, garbanzo beans, chili beans, kidney beans, cannelini beans
Dried beans: Any and all, including lentils in several colors
Rice: Plain white, plain brown, and basmati, occasionally arborio, wild rice
Pasta: Always spaghetti, gemelli, shells, and mini penne
Large pasta: lasagna sheets, mastacolli, stuffing shells
Sugar: white, brown (light or dark) raw sugar, powdered
Honey
Maple syrup: Both real syrup as well as Mrs. Butterworth's
Flour: All-purpose, Bread, White whole wheat, cake flour, and self-rising
Barley
Oats: steel-cut, Old fashioned rolled
Wheat Germ
Cornmeal: fine and coarse grain, also masa harina
Grits
Quinoa
Cocoa
Chocolate: chips, baking chocolate, unsweetened, sometimes white chips
Oil: Olive, vegetable, chili oil, sesame oil
Shortening
Cooking Spray
Vinegar: white, cider, red wine, balsamic, rice wine
Soy sauce: low sodium, and tamari
Worcestershire sauce
Baking soda
Baking powder
Salt: table salt, sea salt, Kosher salt, pickling salt, grey salt, and fleur de sel, seasoning salt
Whole wheat couscous
Spices:
Whole: cumin, coriander, mustard seed, celery seed, dill seed, cloves, allspice, cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, bay leaves, fennel, red pepper flakes, black pepper
Ground: Chili powder, cumin, paprika (sweet and smoked) nutmeg, coriander, dill, oregano, thyme, rosemary, allspice, cloves, cinnamon, cayenne, ginger, curry powder, Garam masala, sage, Mexican oregano, onion powder, garlic powder, mustard, lemon pepper
Tuna packed in water
Roasted red peppers
Olives: kalamata, black, stuffed
Pickles: An assortment at all times
Hot sauce: Sriracha (and Asian sauce), tabasco, Pickapeppa, Crystal Hot Sauce
Baking Mix: Heart healthy Bisquick, Krusteaz pancake mix
Bottled Pesto
Clams and clam juice during soup season
Chicken soup base
Beef soup base
Vegetarian vegetable soup base or bouillion cubes
Dried onions
Dried Fruit: Raisins, Craisins, blueberries, apricots
Canned corn
Canned artichoke hearts
Canned beets
Peanut butter: crunchy and creamy
Rice milk
Coconut milk
Evaporated Milk
Sweetened Condensed Milk
Powdered Milk
Potatoes: Baby red when in season, Russets, red skinned potatoes
Onions: yellow, sweet when in season, red
Shallots
Garlic
Citrus: Lemons, limes, oranges (sometimes these are in the fridge)
Nuts: Walnuts, pecans, cashews, peanuts (store in freezer if in a warm climate)
Asian sauces: Hoisin, oyster, duck, black bean
Drinks: Coffee, assorted teas, hot cider packets, kool-aid, hot cocoa, decaf coffee
Jam: Always strawberry, peach, raspberry

Things to store in the Freezer:
Espresso Powder
Yeast
Frozen Peas
Frozen green beans
Frozen spinach
Frozen mixed vegetables
Stuffed pasta: Tortellini and ravioli

Refrigerator staples:
Nut butters (almond, cashew, natural PB)
Butter: salted, unsalted, and vegan margarine
Milk: either 1% or skim-organic if possible
Half & Half
Soy coffee creamer
Dijon mustard
Creole Mustard
Mayonnaise
Miracle Whip
Parmesan cheese (yes, the green can will do in a pinch)
Cheddar Cheese
Eggs
Yogurt: Plain, Fruited
Buttermilk
Celery
Carrots
Bell peppers
Apples
Pears
Fresh Herbs
Tortillas: Flour and corn
Reduced fat sour cream
Lemon and Lime juices

Obiously, there is much more, but a lot of it revolves around the seasons. You'll find a lot more produce in my fridge in the summer, and a lot less in the winter. You also don't see meat on the list here, because that is always changing. As a general rule I always have bacon, sausage, chicken, pork, beef and fish in the freezer. The bacon I freeze in 4 strip portions for cooking with. I also didn't include bread, because that is ever-changing. Sometimes I go in streaks where I simply make all our bread- but sometimes I'll prefer to buy it.

The canned beans I've also been shying away from- I much prefer to buy them dried and cook my own as I need them. However, I have the time to cook them from scratch. There's nothing wrong with using the canned variety.

So did I miss anything? What's on your pantry list that's not on mine?

4 comments:

JEP said...

First of all, I wish I had your stocked pantry! Others I have are powdered milk, evap & sweetened condensed milk.

Erika W. said...

Ah see, I knew I missed something! Milks!

Michelle in Colorado Springs said...

On the beans if you make up a big pot you can freeze them in 1 cup increments. They freeze faily well.

Erika W. said...

Michelle, I'm just discovering that myself! It's such a budget saver to buy dried beans- one package costs about a buck for me, and that makes the same as 4 or 5 cans of beans!

I actually freeze them in 2 cup packages because I love using beans these days.